Happy Canada Day! Strawberry shortcake, with its beautiful red and white colours, is a perfect dessert for today! This is a Japanese style cake. I used maple syrup in this recipe because 1. maple syrup is simply amazing! and 2. maple syrup makes it somewhat Canadian right? :)
Sponge Cake (you can also use any sponge cake recipe for this):
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar (add 1-2 tablespoon extra if you like sweet)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 355 F
- Beat eggs in a stand mixer. Once well mixed add sugar, 1/3 at a time. Keep beating until ribbon stage.
- Take about 1 cup of egg mixture and mix with butter
- Sift flour and fold into egg and sugar mixture, 1/3 at a time
- add in the butter mixture and milk
- Pour mixture into cake pan and bake at 355 F. Use either a 7″ round cake pan (bake for about 30 minutes) or 10″ baking pan to make smaller cakes (bake for 18 minutes)
- Once done, let the cake cool.
- For 7″ round cake, slice into 3 horizontal layers. For smaller cake, using a mold of choice and cut the cake into smaller pieces, in multiple of 3.
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon alcohol of choice (optional)
- mix maple syrup and sugar together
- Add alcohol of choice to the mixture.
- Strawberries and whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Put the whisk and mixing bowl in the fridge before making whipped cream
- Beat heavy cream in a stand mixer and add sugar, 1/3 at a time. Beat until the cream reaches stiff peaks
To assemble the cake:
- Start with bottom layer of sponge cake
- Brush syrup on to the cake
- add strawberry and whipped cream
- add another layer of cake and repeat the steps above
- add final layer of cake and coat the cake with thin layer of whipped cream
- Let the cake set in the fridge for 15 minutes
- Decorate the cake and enjoy :)